Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Daddy Daughter Days: Mariel and the Kink Factory

 Dad caught the bug too last night, so its safe to say all three of us are gonna be OOC for a while. (Don't worry, folks. I'm still doing these blog posts with my dad). 


So mom and I had some quality time together yesterday while dad was working (and visiting friends later that night). But we wound up watching not one, but TWO movies. 


Those being the Willy Wonka movies (1971 and 2005). 

My mom personally prefers this one since she grew up with it as a child. And this was actually a...Decent adaptation of the original book. The acting was good, so on and so fourth. I mean, you've got Gene Wilder playing Mr. Wonka! He definitely nailed the role in this movie as did most of the other actors. 


I was introduced to this adaptation once when my mom and I were house sitting for our nextdoor neighbors back in the day (I was around 6 years old then). I was one of those kids that would snoop around EVERYTHING. Like what was in the drawers or cabinets, etc. But I then stumbled upon a VHS tape of this movie, my mom saw what I found and suggested we borrow it from them while they were out. Being reluctant, I agreed and we went home a while later. Of course, this movie totally won me over. And would then start a VERY problematic issue with me.


See, I was always in awe about how they did the scene where Violet turns into a blueberry. I would rewatch that clip and try to figure out how it was done. I was desperate to crack the code, but to no avail. (Wouldn't find this out until a decade later). 


Why would I consider this "problematic?" 


Well, its because the fates of Violet and Augustus (mostly Violet) have been completely fetishized online, often mistaking my curiosity for being a part of said fetish. So I usually don't bring up my behind the scenes interest that often. 


And next, the Tim Burton adaptation. 

This is my favorite of the two, mostly because of how everything was designed in terms of sets, wardrobes, casting, etc. Johnny Depp did a really good job playing Mr. Wonka in this film, as well as the audience getting a deeper dive into Wonka's childhood before he opened the factory. 


And you KNOW this is a Tim Burton movie when everything are so heavily detailed. Like, take the set for the chocolate factory for example. That thing is basically drug trip city! And the fates of each child was turned up times 100! Fun fact: When planning Violet's scene. Tim was originally gonna use one of those chub suits like in the 70s adaptation, but he didn't like how it turned out and went to full CGI. HOW COOL IS THAT! (This was once again, another part of my overwhelming interest in behind the scenes work). 


Today in our cinema, A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daddy Daughter Days: "The Story of GWEEN"

 In 2021, I found out about a little show called "Camp Camp." The show was created by the recently defunct "Rooster Teeth&quo...