Monday, August 15, 2022

Daddy Daughter Days: A Piece Of History

 Back in 2015, Sony Pictures Animation released test footage for *what would have been* a Popeye movie! 

Sadly...This film was cancelled in favor of that stupid Emoji Movie released 2 years later. And its such a shame cuz the animation was really great and the voice cast seemed promising (Tom "Spongebob Squarepants" Kenny actually does a good Popeye voice, and I applaud him for that). For 7 years, this movie never saw the light of day....Until recently where somebody linked the entire animatic for the movie IN ITS ENTIRETY on Archive.org. And dad and I got to watch a bit of it yesterday.

Now I haven't watched anything Popeye related since the passing of my late grandfather in October 2015, so finally watching 7 years later felt nostalgic. Dad raised me on the classic cartoons from way back when, so I had a fair amount of knowledge going in. From what I've seen, this actually seemed like a really good movie!!! Such a shame it got cancelled. My one only issue (dad thinks the same here too) is that the movie had the story of Popeye trying to find his long lost dad, which um...Has ALREADY BEEN DONE! 

The 1980 POPEYE movie was about him searching for his Pappy.


Then there was the 2004 made-for-TV CGI "holiday special":


The only movie version that matters is "GOONLAND" from 1938:


My dad also doesn't like the idea of having to give an explanation\backstory to Popeye because of his own opinions that he can throw in when he's able to see this post. Anyways, our viewing of this hidden gem (pun not intended) shall continue soon! Maybe we can watch "Popeye's Voyage" afterwards? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Daddy Daughter Days: "Off To The Movies We Shall Go!"

 My dad and I got to see "South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut" for the movie's 25th anniversary! I'm aware of the fact th...