Monday, May 8, 2023

Daddy Daughter Days: Mamma Mia!

 Unfortunately, we are not talking about the movie based off of ABBA's songs. We're talking about the smash hit MARIO MOVIE! 


Holy shit was this movie a lot to take in! The visuals, the voice cast, the soundtrack! EVERYTHING hit all the right noteblocks! Obviously since I'm the "gamer" of the house, I knew most of the references while my dad still had a fair amount of Mario knowledge, but missed a few of the references (like the DK Rap). 

Story was what you'd expect from something Mario related. But with a couple twists. Firstly, we got to see Mario and Luigi's lives OUTSIDE the Mushroom Kingdom. They're just your average Joes trying to start their own plumbing business! But suddenly, TRAGEDY strikes as Luigi is SUCKED into a warp pipe and shot into the "Dark Lands." And instead of Mario saving Princess Peach, he teams up with her (and Toad) to save Luigi from the evil Bowser! Who by the way, is a meme-star at the moment ever since the movie's release (thanks to the brilliant casting of Jack Black). 


Overall, I expected the movie to be good, and they delivered! Nintendo and Illumination have since confirmed there would be more movies in the works (fingers crossed for Legend of Zelda or Animal Crossing). Let's hope they'll continue this path of greatness moving forward. 

Oh, and did I mention this was done by Illumination? 

Yes...THAT Illumination (whom are ALSO responsible for the Sing movies!)

Anyway, I'll shut up now. Let's allow my dad to throw in his 2 cents.

For years I thought Mario and Luigi were pizza delivery guys. (Spoiler alert!) Turns out they're plumbers! Hope I didn't ruin it for everyone.

The Mario Bros. Movie delivered the expected candy-colored CGI action sequences. I only really know Chris Pratt from "Parks & Recreation," and I have to say I really didn't recognize his voice here. Musing: They spent quite a bit of time establishing that he and his brother were born & bred in Brooklyn. Must have been the Ohio section of Brooklyn.

Don't get me wrong, it was an enjoyable fun ride. But, having seen the SONIC 2 movie, I guess these things always have to end with a giant, city-destroying battle back on Earth. Still, a great voice cast and enough funny dialog to keep this old geezer entertained.

Note to daughter: I will not be going to see the Barbie movie this summer. I have to draw the line somewhere.

If Michael Cera was cast as Ken and not Allen, I'd go. But we won't be venturing back to the cinemas until June for "Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken" and "Elemental." 

What? You just made those up, right? Good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daddy Daughter Days: "The Story of GWEEN"

 In 2021, I found out about a little show called "Camp Camp." The show was created by the recently defunct "Rooster Teeth&quo...