Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Daddy Daughter Days: Online MMOS

 I know, I know. Another video game related post. But my dad and I have had our fair share of online MMOS that we played so why the hell not. 

MMOS have been around for as long as I can remember, with the first MMO (upon research) being "The Realm Online" in 1996, it was the start of a new era for those who couldn't afford a gaming system. I first found out about these through my older cousins who played games like Club Penguin and Webkinz in their youth. Sadly, as addressed in a previous post, I had a lot of problems accessing these games due to NetZero not being the best with loading these games. So let's start with the basics.


Webkinz was a pet care simulation MMO created in April 2005. How you could play is where you buy a Webkinz plush that would come with a special code inside their tag where the pet can then "come to life" in the virtual town of Webkinz World. I found out about this game when I was at this Children's Museum with my cousins back when I was 5-6. MY older cousin's were at the gift shop there and they were, no surprise, selling Webkinz. The oldest was showing the cuddly animals to me as my little brain grew attached. We wound up getting a brown horse and a mouse. I named mine "Smokey" and "Cheeser" respectively. So when we got back to my Aunt's house, my two cousins showed me how the game works and the whole "secret code" thingy, and basically the rest is history. I still own all of my Webkinz plush toys and they currently reside in my basement\recording studio. Here's my dad on the subject of these cuddly creatures.

Yeah, we're knee-deep in Webkinz down here in dad and daughter central.  Mariel keeps buying these critters whenever and wherever she can find 'em.

Mariel knows my favorite part of the old Webkinz World experience: Dr. Quack!


"Yew could be a goalie!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daddy Daughter Days: "The Story of GWEEN"

 In 2021, I found out about a little show called "Camp Camp." The show was created by the recently defunct "Rooster Teeth&quo...