Monday, June 21, 2021

Mariel's Nostalgia Rant (Because the name Nostalgia Critic is already taken): Buddies and Chipmunks

 

Ah yes, nothing says Summertime relaxation than sprawling out on the couch with your pet (or stuffed animal in my case) and having some good old TV time. Lately I've been nostalgic for a LOT of old movies and TV shows I grew up watching as a kid (I'll cover those shows in another post) but today I will be focusing on movies I grew up with.

So....Remember VHS tapes? Yeah, me and my family had a ton of these. Mostly for our favorite Disney movies and other media. I grew up with a lot of the classic films (Snow White, Bambi, Jungle Book, etc) but I also watched a lot of Disney movies from the early 2000s. One of them being this short lived franchise based off the garbage pile movie (in my opinion) Air Bud. The Air Bud movie itself is pretty bland to say the least, but in 2005 or 2006, they did a full 180 and made the "Air Buddies" franchise. And of course little 3 year old me was obsessed with them! I mean, they were movies about puppies, what kid doesn't love puppies? 


Each movie was about the 5 dogs, Buddha, Mudbud, Butterball, Rosebud, and B-Dawg going on wacky adventures together and getting stuck in SOME situation. Most if it was corny 2000s filler (usually coming from B-Dawg) that grabbed a hold of my attention and still gets a chuckle out of me to this day. Sadly, my mom gave all of the DVDS I had to a neighbor, so I've spent the past few weeks at garage sales, flea markets, and thrift shops just to buy the rest of these movies since I plan on buying one of those portable DVD players to watch movies in my room. 

Next are some movies that came from 20th Century Fox.

A lot of children's movies from Fox are ok, they did bring me quite the amount of entertainment even as a young adult (probably because they were a part of my childhood) but nothing can quite compare in the lineup other than the 4 Alvin and the Chipmunks movies. 

(Random picture of the Chipettes)

These movies were released from 2007-2015 and were not too bad but were mostly panned by critics. I've been a fan of the Chipmunks since I was 7 and finding out about the live action movie sent me on a pretty long trip to cloud 9. I saw he 1st and 2nd movie on DVD and as you'd expect, enjoy every single second of it. Around the time I heard there was a 3rd movie in the works around 2011, I was begging my parents to take me to the theater to see it! We wound up going a total of 3-4 times from what I remember. So here's my ranking of the 4 movies:

Alvin And the Chipmunks: 10\10! Great story, good introduction and portrayal of the characters, wonderful actors and voice actors, overall great start to the franchise.

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squealquel: 9\10! Again, great story and character development, extra points for introducing the Chipettes, fun story and humor, brought back actors from the first movie and then some. Only problem is the Karens out there who were accusing the team of "sexualizing" the Chipettes.

Alvin and the Chipmunks Chipwrecked: 7.5\10 not a bad movie, brought back the actors from the previous 2 films, pretty decent story with a fair amount of humor. My only nit pick with this one is some parts seemed a bit lacking and the scenes where they're on the cruise ship could have been a bit longer.

Alvin and the Chipmunks Road Chip: 6\10. Amazing CGI animation for the Chipmunks, brought back the actor playing Dave, like the last one, it was a decent story but nothing to write home about, music was pretty good too. Only cons were the lack of Chipettes involved in the story because of this unneeded b plot that they were gonna be hosting American Idol, Ian not being present was a bit of a letdown and the new "villain" was a bit bland. Overall a mediocre film but not the best way to wrap up the live action franchise.... or is it the end?????

So yeah. Those are some childhood films I wanted to rant about for some oddball reason, we have another blog post coming later hopefully. 

But, Mariel... what about THIS?!?!?


EEEEEEEEEEEW!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Daddy Daughter Days: "The Story of GWEEN"

 In 2021, I found out about a little show called "Camp Camp." The show was created by the recently defunct "Rooster Teeth&quo...