Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Daddy Daughter Days: An Unpleasant Time Capsule

Dad and I had the house to ourselves for a few hours last night, owing to mom working again. We wound up talking about some badly made cartoons from both my parents' time (the 60s) that were airing as Saturday morning prime time shows. The first one being...

The Beatles 

YIKES!

My dad introduced me to "The Beatles" when I was in 1st-2nd grade (so around 7 or 8 years old, roughly speaking). As he had MANY a CD or record in our house. In terms of animated features with this band, I only knew of the "Yellow Submarine" movie since my dad owns figures that were made to promote said film. So hearing that such an iconic band had a Saturday morning cartoon was surprising (I quickly realized WHY I wasn't aware of this). To be BRUTALLY honest, the cartoon sucks. I'm not just saying this as a Gen Z kid, I'm saying this as someone who grew up with The Beatles and several similar bands at the time.

We couldn't even get past the first minute of the actual cartoon! It was just that bad, folks. Dad even found some old photos of when the REAL Beatles were invited to visit the animation studio behind this train wreck of a cartoon. None of them were pleased AT ALL! (Though George did perk up when he found out drinks were involved). 

I also found out Alvin and the Chipmunks did a rendition of "Help!"

Ok moving right along... Things get just as worse from here.... 


I have a very limited amount of knowledge on "The Jackson 5ive" other than MJ was a part of the band (cuz duh those were his siblings he was with, too), and they made a rendition of a song I played frequently on Wii Music (I'll Be There). But when I found out that this band got a cartoon show, a RANKIN BASS cartoon show, I knew it was gonna be absolute shit just from the opening title alone...

My GOD did this cartoon carry a lot of the stereotypical tropes from the 60s. The most notable being the 5ive driving off in an oddly designed car (they're ripping off "God Wants Me to Forgive THEM?!" before it even existed...Double yikes...). RB should have just stuck with the Christmas Specials...

So dad? Care to share your two cents on this unpleasant time capsule we dove into head first? 

TV Funhouse hit the bulls-eye with his satire of this genre when he made "The Black Sabbath Show" cartoon:


Maybe a MYSTIC EYES cartoon is needed..?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Daddy Daughter Days: "The Story of GWEEN"

 In 2021, I found out about a little show called "Camp Camp." The show was created by the recently defunct "Rooster Teeth&quo...