Thursday, December 23, 2021

Daddy Daughter Days: A Taste Of Early 2000s Culture

 Coming as someone from this particular era, I thought it'd be a fun idea to do a review of some Adult Swim cartoons I watched last night.

My father and I first started off with some Space Ghost. The first episode was ok, though the pacing was a bit slow in my opinion. But the second one was REALLY enjoyable. I'll give it an 8\10.


Next up was Aquateen Hunger Force. I've heard a LOT about this show over the years, in fact, a good friend of mine is a HUGE fan of the show, even having her own OC that she cosplays and makes videos of on TikTok. 

So the first episode was about Carl trying to sell a house, but the house itself is in REALLY bad condition.... Like...Really bad, there's literally a hole in the floor with slices of pizza surrounding it. A family of robots wind up getting the house, and they overall act like a bunch of idiots. Pretty funny episode (7\10)

The second episode has to be my favorite of the show thus far. Our friend, Meatwad is in search of a job, he eventually lands a gig at a car wash, but as one of those guys that dresses up in a costume and tries to get the attention of passing cars. Won't spoil  the rest of it, but there ya go. (10\10) 


Next up was the Home Movies episode "Director's Cut" from season 1. I'm typically not too into season 1 as I didn't like the use of Squigglevision, that was more of a Dr. Katz thing. But this episode is one of my favorites (Along with The Art Of The Sucker Punch and I Don't Do Well In Parent-Teacher Conferences.) The whole joke where Brendon slowly loses his sanity after Melissa and Jason are no longer working on "Louie Louie" with him was probably my favorite part in the episode. Kind of reminds me of my own brain.... 


There were some live action shows that played for a few minutes, which came off as good background noise while I was chatting with friends in my Home Movies server. 

Then came the last show (or part of it) that I watched before starting a call with my best friend. 

Now I had mostly heard a TON of bad things about this show, specifically in the animation. Which does look like it was animated in MS Paint. (I know how THAT is.) But it does add to the charm of the show. 

The half of the full episode I watched was about the mouse character (Fitz?) playing a pinball game and trying to decode a secret language behind it... That's all I've seen before having to clock out so I could do my call. 

So far, 12 Oz. Mouse is pretty good! Has kind of a Dr. Katz feel... (7.5\10)

So after 12 Oz. Mouse was a Bob's Burgers episode. It was about Linda having the worst birthday ever, with her accidentally locking her purse, keys, and cell phone in the car. Chaos ensues! Pretty great episode (9\10)

After that was King of the Hill's "Propaniacs." Man is this episode a cult classic in our house! Father and I spent the entire duration laughing our asses off. Basically, Bobby wants to go to a comedy camp, but Hank declines his interest (in typical Hank Hill fashion). But after Bobby winds up getting a job at Strickland Propane, he then entertains a group of angry customers thanks to Dale starting a riot. After this, the Propaniacs were born!

The final few minutes of the tape were some more Aquateen episodes! The first being some episode where Master Shake had some cell phone deal or something, can't remember all the details since I was working on my next Budsie reference sheet for an OC of mine. But father and I got a good laugh out of Meatwad's interest in wanting to milk a cow... 

The second and final show on the tape was an Aquateen episode where Meatwad reads his latest graphic novel to Master Shake. Pretty silly stuff, but I'm sure you'll all enjoy it. (10\10)

This recording had a lot of good gems! Will see if father can dig up some more so he and I can watch them during some drawing sessions. 

We do have a project for Sunday though, so that should be exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daddy Daughter Days: "The Story of GWEEN"

 In 2021, I found out about a little show called "Camp Camp." The show was created by the recently defunct "Rooster Teeth&quo...