Thursday, September 8, 2022

Daddy Daughter Days: A Father Daughter Investigation!

 I found a tape at Goodwill that allegedly had a Power Rangers movie recorded on it. Curious to see what time this was recorded, I bought it! Tape is roughly 6 and a half hours to be exact. So last night, dad and I popped the tape into my VCR and let it rewind. A few minutes later, I hit play....And to our shock, the tape didn't start off with anything related to Power Rangers, instead it starts off with a Rocket Power TV MARATHON! 


Right now, we're trying to sit through the sub-par movie that is "The Race To New Zealand" and folks...It is SO cringe worthy, even Chris-Chan could write something better. The show just TRIES its hardest to be funny and hip with its audience, but they do get laughs. Laughs over how hilariously BAD it is! Now I'm not saying this on the Rocket Power series in general since this is my first time being exposed to it, but we're both off to a not so great start here.

But here are some helpful hints my dad and I have found out timeline wise.

The marathon took place on a 3 day weekend where kids would normally be off from school. And like the previous screenshot above says, this is from a Monday to be more specific. 




And according to the dates on some of these commercials, the timeline is in 2001. So we have a specific YEAR to build off of. 










More commercial footage from cereal to McDonalds and Burger King

Another thing we've ruled out is that this takes place prior to the dates of March 10 and 29th. So this had to have been LONG before the events of 9/11. 



As of now, we're trying to figure out what holiday would take place to have a 3 day weekend where kids would be off of school to tune in. My thought is MAYBE Martin Luther King Jr. Day (I'm pretty sure that's before March?) we'll figure out more as we submerge ourselves into early 2000s skateboard culture. 

Anything you wanna add to our current findings, dad? 

MLK day is a good guess! It was on January 15, 2001.

Watching this has been really tough sledding! All the "rad" skateboarding crap and "tude" baked into these unappealing characters is really off-putting. In short, it blows. 

Here is the Wikipedia lowdown on the series.

That said, this tape looks to be a time capsule of 2001 commercials & NICK program bumpers. I wonder if my Dazzle VHS-to-mp4 system will function with our current computer set up? It would be worth grabbing those for YouTube. 

Lord knows what else is on this cursed VHS!

I actually thought of a Goodwill location we've passed by a couple times on the way to Savers that I think would be worth persuing. (Talking a couple weeks since we're super busy next Saturday). 

Who knows? Maybe you'll find a tape like THIS?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daddy Daughter Days: "The Story of GWEEN"

 In 2021, I found out about a little show called "Camp Camp." The show was created by the recently defunct "Rooster Teeth&quo...