Monday, April 24, 2023

Daddy Daughter Days: The Fan-ily Feud!

 Yesterday was one of those rare occasions where we got to sit back and tune into Fox29. We usually don't watch it often because most of our favorite shows are usually interrupted by sports or Daytona 500 (sorry, Joseph). But last night was different. We got to tune in to a MODERN Simpsons episode. 

I've only watched what we call "Classic Simpsons" which is basically the pre-movie era. I've only watched a couple of modern Simpsons episodes but they're hit or miss in my opinion. Believe me, last night's episode blew everything out of the water!

"Fan-ily Feud" was basically the writers digging at toxic fan bases of popular artists. It was funny...In a fucked up way. Lisa was just SO out of character here as she teams up with a group of power hungry fans to get revenge on Homer because *gasp* he talked bad about her favorite singer?! We see Homer getting cancelled left and right by people in town and online. He meets up with the singer's competitor and, well...It's a mess.

Despite Lisa's change in character, I found these to be one of the better modern Simpsons episodes because of how crazy the plot was! As someone who practically LIVES on the internet, it was great to see a show make fun of the very things that I fear about it (cancel culture and toxic fanbases). I thought it was a good episode and I regret not recording it on VHS.

So weird that Lisa, Marge and Bart all seem to gang up on Homer for the most ridiculous of reasons. That Bart would disown his own verbatim quote and be terrified of a bunch of fangirls just doesn't scan. That Lisa, the snobbish jazz aficionado would pull a Louise (Boys 4 Now) Belcher is even more unlikely. And those idiotic music videos? Spare me!!!  

Unrelated topic but is anyone here interested in bottom of the barrel church Easter plays based off of popular media?! 

We've got shows and movies that go from Star Trek (Sheldon Cooper would probably hate watch that one) to The Lion King, and their most RECENT production which has yet to surface online, Beauty and the Beast. Featuring a cesspool of FILLER and unnecessary musical numbers. 

If you're willing to sit through these like me, in the words of Scar... "Be Prepared." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daddy Daughter Days: "Off To The Movies We Shall Go!"

 My dad and I got to see "South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut" for the movie's 25th anniversary! I'm aware of the fact th...