Sunday, October 3, 2021

Daddy Daughter Days: If Its Cheap, We'll Buy It!

 Tonight's another cheapskate night! My mom is off from work this weekend so she'll be joining in on the fun. I spoke with my dad last night and he recalled Aldi chili being quite good, he would know since I'm very picky.

I woke up feelin a bit down for no reason. But some housework lightened the mood. I'll be taking a trip down memory lane this afternoon by watching some Fireman Sam. Idk why, I've just been feeling really nostalgic towards it lately, even as going far as to getting my old cake toppers from eBay.


Must isolate from Norman..... ಥ_ಥ

So dad and I will be off to the store shortly and will give our reviews later today ^^ 

Update: Dad and I trudged through the pouring rain to get to Aldi. Wound up getting the following

  • Pizza
  • Potato Skins
  • Chili
  • Marshmallows

We also browsed through the other isles of the store to find a bunch of items worth buying for a future cheapskate night. Will update once again with our ratings on the food ;)

Ok so here's my review on the food.

So I'm gonna take points off on the potato skins for having VERY misleading packaging. The package showed that there would be at least 5 potatoes in there but my dad and I were shocked to only find 3! But how were they in terms of taste? Quite good! My parents would prefer it if they had more cheese but still a great side dish. (6.5\10)


Pizza was really good! My mom and I have always had the best luck with Aldi's pizzas so of course my dad and I got one! The pizza in question was a 4 cheese with as the box puts it "RIDICULOUS AMMOUNTS OF CHEESE!!!!!" Funny story, I thought that the mozz slices were onion slices back in the day.... Until today at least! Took a big bite outa my two slices and enjoyed as always. MY takeaway would be the mozz slices were a bit rubbery but overall a good pizza. (8.5\10)


Finally, the marshmallows. My dad had some rice krispies on hand and decided to make some rice krispie treats. Of course, those were made with perfection, a nice crispy and creamy combo rather than the slightly bland store bought ones. 

Will Aldi be a regular stop for the weekend? Most definitely! Already scheduling another cheapskate night NEXT weekend. Anyways, take it away dad. 

The ALDI canned chili was miles above the dollar tree chili. No disc of lard on the top of the can, for starters. And, get this, it was eighty-nine cents; eleven cents cheaper than the DOLLAR store!

ANd the potato skin was pretty good. We'll at least two boxes next time and maybe some sour cream.

I saw the marshmallows and twigged the fact the missus bought a box of store brand "crispy rice" cereal last week.  I grabbed a bag and vowed to make a pan of treats.  They're simple to make and really only have one extra ingredient: melted margarine.

One bag of marshmallows to 1/2 box of cereal. Simple!

The important part is to refrigerate them so they cut up properly. Plus you can't beat the crunch right out of the fridge. Mom even got a couple!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daddy Daughter Days: "Off To The Movies We Shall Go!"

 My dad and I got to see "South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut" for the movie's 25th anniversary! I'm aware of the fact th...